I read an interesting article the other day about sea otters. The article said that sea otters hold hands when they sleep so that they don’t drift away from each other. What a beautiful thought! And how applicable to us humans, in our busy and oh-so-distracting daily lives.
- How many times have you felt as though something was getting between you and your partner?
- How often have you felt as though the world is coming between you and your loved one?
- Have you ever felt like your loved one is slipping away from you due to the madness that you feel all around you, and the pressures that are exerted on you both from society on a daily basis?
I have felt all of these stresses at various times in my relationships. Sometimes the requirements of work mean long days, exhausted nights, and too much overtime to count – all of which equates to less time with my husband. Sometimes all I read in the news is how everyone is splitting up, giving up, and refusing to make their relationships work – and I wonder how us two will every make it in this world where one seems to be the magic number.
But on days like these, and all the moments in between (truth be told), my husband and I take our cues from the sea otters – and we hold each other’s hand.
Holding hands is not only symbolic that we are united, close and strong together – but it’s a source of great physical comfort.
– It’s the warmth of someone you trust; holding you and supporting you when words are not enough.
– It’s the strength of the person you love the most in your life, leading you through the tough times and guiding you when you’ve lost your way.
– It’s the comfort of knowing you are not alone; you cannot be torn apart from your partner.
So the next time you are feeling a bit low, or like you need some extra strength from someone you love, don’t be afraid to reach out and hold their hand. I find it the simplest and most beautiful expression of love, trust, strength, and unity.
And if it’s good enough for the sea otters – it’s good enough for me.